Top 10 Best Down Comforters Reviews and Buying Guide 2015 – 2016
Sleeping is the only time when you allow yourself to get some rest – free from stress, anxieties, worries, and exhaustion from your day’s hard work. So why not get the most of out of it, right?
I love down comforters and honestly, it was the last blanket I bought myself!
I am a warm sleeper so my friends asked me why I would need a fluffy comforter at night and my answer is simply because it’s a down comforter.
Whether it’s summer or winter, down comforters have helped me achieve the most relaxing sleep at night. At the end of the day, I would jump to my bed and cover myself with this soft and fluffy blanket.
After a few minutes, you’ll definitely find me deep in sleep. I never experienced that until I discovered a blanket filled made of goose down and feathers.
Introducing Down Comforters and Its Benefits
There are 3 things that make a down comforter:
The comforter’s fill refers to the type of down and feathers used for the blanket. This is the most important part because this is where the performance of the comforter relies on.
You have 2 choices for this: geese and ducks.
Comforters made out of duck down are cheaper than goose down.
This doesn’t mean that duck down comforters cannot match the insulation given by goose down comforters. Both fills provide an equal amount of insulation.
Geese are wild and often captured. This means that their down and feathers are fluffier and larger to help them get the warmth they need. Ducks, however, are mostly farmed so their feathers are smaller.
When it comes to feel and coziness, goose down comforters is unmatched.
The construction refers to how the blanket was made and sewn together. You have to remember that these comforters contain animal feathers that may trigger allergies for users. And so, different manufacturers have their own way of making their products.
Some comforters may look cozier but were not sanitized thoroughly. These may trigger allergic reactions.
On the other hand, some blankets have luxurious and cozy looks while being hypoallergenic too.
In other words, it all depends on how the comforter was constructed.
Another important part is the fabric which determines the quality of texture and feel of your comforter. There are 4 most commonly used fabrics for down comforters and they are as follows:
- Cambric – excellent value with use of basic weaving
- Damask – great price with outstanding quality
- Sateen – offers high sheen and softer feel
- Batiste – high durability and lightweight
Here are the following benefits you’ll enjoy once you started using down comforters.
- Incomparable and longer warmth due to the blanket’s ability to trap body heat within the filling.
- Comfort during the summer season due to its breathability, allowing body sweat and moisture to pass through the filling. This prevents your body from overheating even if you are a warm sleeper.
- Lighter sleep and easier bed-making due to the lightweight materials, giving you comfort even in the coldest winter nights and ease once you make your bed in the morning.
- Low maintenance since down comforters doesn’t need to be washed often.
Top 10 Best Down Comforters Today
If you’re already interested in getting your very own down comforter, then let me share with you the top 10 must-have down comforters I have found.
I don’t own all of them, but these 10 were in the list I chose from until I made my choice. Please note that I visited some retailers and friends to see the products personally.
Without further due, here are the top 10 bestselling comforters categorized based from which was best for specific seasons and for all year round.
Let me present to you all the details you need about these 10 bestselling comforters. Hopefully, you get to compare them and be able to choose what fits you best.
Top 3 Down Comforters You Shouldn’t Forget
I won’t be surprised if at this point, you still find it difficult to choose which of these 10 bestselling down comforters is worth your money.
Let me give you my top 3 comforters. Lucky for you, what I’m using is included but please don’t let me convince you in choosing the same.
Remember, we live in two different places and your sleeping comfort is different from mine. With that in mind, I’ll help you how to find that best comforter which suits your needs later on.
Without further due, here are my top 3 down comforters:
- Pinzon Signature Pyrenees Hypoallergenic Goose Down Comforter
- Pacific Coast: European Down Comforter
- Cuddledown 233TC Down Comforter
Top 3 Best Down Comforter Reviews
First and foremost, let me introduce to you the product which I personally use all year round.
At first glance, you will immediately notice that the Pinzon Pyrenees Hypoallergenic Goose Down Comforter is a first-rate product. It’s the combination of both elegance and comfort.
The manufacturer claimed that its medium weight but I can testify how lightweight it is. Making the bed as soon as I wake up becomes more fun due to its fluffy and smooth feel.
Here are the reasons why it is one of my top 1.
- The dobby-woven stripe pattern gives it the most elegant and comfortable appearance that you won’t find from its competitors.
- The thickness of the comforter is not too thin and not way too bulky either. It’s perfect for my own preferences, plain and simple.
- Larger clusters of goose down have more room to breathe, allowing my body heat to pass through even if I sleep under it during summer.
- The filling was sanitized thoroughly from elements that could trigger allergies.
The Pacific Coast: European Down Comforter is very fluffy and very comfortable. The filling is made up of down and feathers which is why it gives outstanding feel.
In contrary to what most people think about comforters that use feathers, the fabric of this product prevents the feather from leaking out. This means that no matter how you sleep, you won’t wake up because of a quill sticking out of the fabric.
Now here’s why I chose it for my top 2.
• Remarkable breathability, allowing you to enjoy sleeping under it even during summer.
• Durable materials that can last up to 10 years.
• Egyptian cotton gives a silky smooth comfort.
I’m a warm sleeper but I still feel cold when the temperature goes below 55 degrees. Pinzon Comforter is not enough for me to warm up below 55 degrees so I tend to cover another thick blanket.
After buying this, I no longer use the Pinzon during winter because this gives me the warmth I need. Still, I store this one away whenever the season ends.
Now here’s the reason why it’s on my top 3.
• Duck down comforter which provides the best warmth and comfort in the market.
• Fluffy appearance don’t change over time.
• Time consuming maintenance is no longer required. In fact, spot cleaning is more than enough.
• No down or feather leaking out of the fabric.
Cheaper but Efficient Alternative
I bet you have seen lots of products that goes by the name “down alternative comforter”.
Keep in mind that these are different from down comforters. They are also known as synthetic down comforters.
Down alternatives do not use natural down or feather. They use synthetic fiber designed to give you the comfort and warmth that natural down comforters give.
They are also the cheaper choice if you want to save more out of your budget.
The only downside is that down comforters can provide superior warmth and comfort that no down alternatives can give. Plus, only down comforters have outstanding breathability.
In other words, it’s extremely rare to find synthetic down comforter that you can use during summer.
|Which is warmer?|
|Which is breathable?|
|Which is easier to clean?|
|Which requires frequent cleaning?|
|Which is cheaper?|
|Which is more durable?|
|Which is more comfortable?|
|Which is safer for users with allergies?|
Which One Do You Need: Down Comforter or Down Alternatives? And Why?
In simple words, you better look for synthetic down comforters if you have allergies or in short of budget. Other than these two reasons, you should never let the opportunity pass to acquire your very own down comforter.
Superior warmth and unforgettable comfort are only available via down comforter. Personally, if you haven’t experienced sleeping under natural down comforters, then you have to treat yourself and get one of those.
Do you have allergies and worried about triggering it as you sleep? Then look for hypoallergenic down comforters. They will let you experience the most relaxing sleep at any season without triggering your allergies.
I always refer my friends to natural down comforters because I’ve been using down alternatives in the past. That was until I got my hands on down comforters filled with European goose down.
How to buy a down comforter
Now if you prefer to have natural down comforters like me but still wonders if you need it or not, then let me ask you these questions:
• Are you not satisfied with the warmth your current blanket gives you when you sleep?
• Are you living in cold climates?
• Do you want to save more money from your annual expenses for heaters and insulators?
• Do you want to sleep in comfort?
• Do you want to make your bed elegant and relaxing to look at?
If your answer to any of these questions is “yes”, then you just found a reason to grab a down comforter where you can tuck yourself in.
Down comforters will also free you from frequent cleaning of blankets. Regular washing is not recommended for natural down comforters because it decreases the insulating capabilities of the filling.
Hence, you only need to clean them once a year. Preferably, before you store it.
Some brands will not require you for annual washing too. In fact, there are specific products that will allow you to disregard washing for 3 – 5 years. So what more can you ask to make your life a bit easier, right?
How to Avoid Inefficient Down Comforters
So to help you with that, let me guide you in every detail before buying.
- Are you a cold sleeper or a warm sleeper?
- Are you planning to use it for specific season or for the entire year?
- What is the average temperature of your room?
With that in mind, let us now proceed on the following tips.
- Look for the fill power and choose which warmth level suits you best. You should start your preference on 600 FP. If you’re a warm sleeper, then go below that fill power. If you’re a cold sleeper, then go higher. As fill power increases, so as the fluff and warmth of the comforter.
- Don’t worry yourself if you see gray down comforters. White and gray don’t differ from one another. They both provide the same warmth and comfort.
- Decide which kind of fabric you need. Feel each kind of fabric available and choose which type you want to cover yourself as you sleep.
- Prepare your budget for the size you need. Prices vary from sizes. Twin sizes are cheaper than king sizes. Keep how big your bed in mind before closing the deal for a down comforter.
- Choose the size for your bed. You might not find it in my list but there are down comforters in the market today that are as small as 53” x 67” and as big as 116” x 98”.
- Think about the temperature of where you will be using it. The efficiency of comforters also depend on how hot or how cold your room is. You don’t want to use a down comforter with lower fill power during harsh winter climate, do you?
- Lastly, choose what fill you want for your comforter. Some products use a combination of both down and feathers. Some use duck down and others use goose down. Both have the same insulating capabilities but goose down has higher breathability. Perfect for warm sleeper like me.
Keep all these things in mind and you will not miss the perfect down comforter for your bed.
What You Need To Know As Down Comforter User
Here are some things you need to remember. These tips will make sure that your comforter is at 100% efficiency.
• Duvet cover can prolong the comforter, preventing the filling from leaking. It also prevents the comforter from getting dirty.
• Regularly shake the comforter. This allows the air to enter the filling and maintains the loft of your comforter.
• Put the comforter outside twice in a year. A couple of hours is enough to keep the comforter fresh.
• Take note of the cleaning instructions provided by the manufacturer. Some products were meant to be cleaned once a year while others were meant to be cleaned once every 5 years.
As a bonus, here is a video to help you place a duvet cover over your down comforter properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Siberian goose down comforters worth the money?
Siberian goose down comforter is a myth. Siberian geese are endangered species and any part of these animals are not allowed to be sold. Some providers of so-called Siberian goose down comforters admitted to the Down Association of Canada that the name is only used for marketing and trade.
This doesn’t mean that products that use Siberian Goose for marketing purposes are bad. Most of them use Hungarian goose down which is one of the best filling available today. Just make sure you don’t fall for the name itself and evaluate the quality.
Why do European filling expensive?
European ducks and geese are bred for the sole purpose of acquiring their down. In addition, the climate in Europe (particularly in Poland and Hungary) are colder. This means that the animals produce better down for their survival. The better quality of the filling makes the comfortable a bit expensive as well.
Which is better? Goose down or duck down?
With regards to warmth and insulation, they are equal. But when it comes to breathability, goose down is better.
How would I know if I’m a warm sleeper or cold sleeper?
Warm sleepers like me tend to produce body heat which leads to sweat and warmth. If you often find yourself uncomfortable underneath a blanket due to heat, then you’re a warm sleeper. If you feel cold without a blanket during warm nights, then you’re a cold sleeper.
Choosing the best down comforter is a tricky task. This is because of different preferences and different body warmth.
You might feel cold at room temperature where I feel perfectly warm. In other words, your preference will not be as exactly as mine.
Nevertheless, this article will help you determine your own preference. With that, you will be able to decide which type of down comforter you should look for.
Read more best toddler down comforter
Incoming search terms:
- BestDownComforterReviews2015-2016-Downcomforterexpert com
- down comforter reviews
- top rated goose down comforter
- top 10 comforter brands
- goose down comforter reviews
- fluffiest duvets
- consumer reports down comforter reviews
- consumer report best down alternative comforter for 2016
- best rated duvets
- best feather down comforter